4 x 250 grams lamb fillet
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm lengths
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ butternut pumpkin, thinly sliced lengthways, seeds reserved
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 shallot, finely sliced
½ cup saltbush leaves
2 teaspoons native thyme
3 beef bones
2 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons pepperberries, slightly crushed
30g pigface shoots
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Roll each fillet in plastic wrap tightly and secure to form a sausage shape. Set aside in fridge.
3. Place carrots on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to roast until golden and tender, about 45 minutes.
4. Place pumpkins seeds on a small tray and place in oven to roast for 20 minutes.
5. Place red wine vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add shallot and remove from heat. Allow to pickle for 25 – 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
6. Place saltbush onto 2 sheets of plastic wrap and microwave for 30 second intervals until completely dry, about 3 minutes.
7. Combine 2 saltbush leaves with native thyme, half amount roasted pumpkin seeds and salt to taste in a mortar and pestle. Pass through sieve and reserve fine dust for plating. Set aside remaining saltbush leaves for garnish.
8. Place pancetta and beef bones into a cold frying pan and bring up to medium heat. Spoon off liquid every 5-10 minutes and reserve. Continue frying until crispy and brown. Discard bones. Drain pancetta and set aside.
9. Whisk cream and mustard until soft peaks form. Season and transfer to a piping bag and set aside in fridge.
10. Place pumpkin onto paper lined baking tray. Brush generously with reserved pan juices. Using a blowtorch, to caramelise pumpkin on each side for 2-3 minutes. Alternatively, brown under a hot grill. Set aside.
11. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Drizzle lamb with 1 tablespoon oil and season. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until medium rare. Add butter and baste for 2-3 minutes until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan, cover and rest for 5 minutes.
12. To serve, place pumpkin on each plate. Slice lamb and stand in one corner. Pipe mustard cream around lamb. Add roasted carrot, pig face, pickled shallot and dried saltbush. Top with crispy pancetta, pepperberries pumpkin seeds and native thyme dust. Season, to taste.
Source: Dig In! by Brent Owens.