Prep: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Coarse salt and ground pepper
12 ounces sugar snap peas, stem ends removed (and, if necessary, strings)
1 pound peeled and deveined frozen medium shrimp, thawed
4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1/4 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped and peeled fresh ginger
1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
1. In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook snap peas until bright green, about 2 minutes.
2. Reduce to a simmer, and add shrimp; cook until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
3. Drain, and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking; set aside.
4. Make dressing: in a blender, combine scallion whites, oil, lime juice, carrot, ginger, and cup water; blend until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, bell peppers, scallion greens, snap peas, and shrimp. Serve salad with dressing on the side or drizzled over the top.
To trim snap peas, cut off stem end with a knife. Or, if the string is especially tough, snap off stem end with fingers, and pull string down the pod.