- Leave your tattoo wrapped overnight
- Wash your hands before touching a new tattoo
- Air dry or pat dry with a paper towel
- Apply Bepanthen or Aquaphor after washing and whenever the tattoo feels dry
- Repeat this process for about a week, no less than three days
- Do not scratch or pick at the new tattoo
- Do not use tanning beds or expose the tattoo to prolonged hours of sun
- Do not soak new tattoo in hot water, shower instead
- After the tattoo has healed, keep it moisturised and use sunscreen to prevent fading.
- Wash your hands before touching a new piercing
- Do not use alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or antibacterial ointment to clean new piercings, this will dehydrate the skin and can inhibit skin cells from regenerating and healing
- Instead use warm salt water to clean your new piercing with a cotton-bud
- Be gentle while cleaning to ensure the ball does not fall out and to prevent agitating the piercing
- Do not play or scratch at a new piercing
- Do not change piercing jewellery until the piercing has completely healed
- Use lukewarm salt water or Listerine Zero for tongue piercing
- For tongue piercing, rinse mouth after eating or smoking, and drink/ eat lots of cold products.
It’s always better to get your tattoo and/ or piercing done by a professional from an accredited parlour. To help you find a good parlour, click here for our top tattoo parlours.