The theatre hosted a number of prominent plays and productions through the second half of the 20th century before closing its door in 1997 with a final performance of Ipi Ntombi.
In 2006 the theatre was restored to its modernist roots and in 2007 the theatre reopened with a production of the Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical RENT. Today the theatre is a multi-dimensional event venue and hosts events including concerts, award ceremonies, talent shows, weddings and conferences as well as a few productions.
To find out more about the Alexander Theatre click here.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- Braamfontein After Dark
- Meet Mighty Monk – Jozi's Nitro-Infused Cold Brew Coffee Company
- Then & Now: Braamfontein
- Snow White – The Ballet
- Window Sessions At The Orbit Jazz Club
- Women's Day Affair Ft. TiMO ODV
- Claudette Schreuders - The Bystanders
- A New Original Musical Premieres At The Joburg Theatre This August
- Stanley Beer Yard Tasting
- Cafe Republic Pres: The Brownies
- Mandela Day Yoga
- Basha Uhuru Youth Festival 2017
The Alexander Theatre in Braamfontein first opened its doors in 1951 as a place the Johannesburg Repertory Players could call home.