The theatre hosted a number of prominent plays and productions through the second half of the 20th century before closing its door in 1997 with a final performance of Ipi Ntombi.
In 2006 the theatre was restored to its modernist roots and in 2007 the theatre reopened with a production of the Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical RENT. Today the theatre is a multi-dimensional event venue and hosts events including concerts, award ceremonies, talent shows, weddings and conferences as well as a few productions.
To find out more about the Alexander Theatre click here.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- Party Venues For Those Special Birthday Celebrations
- PartyFreaks Inner City Live Music And Lifestyle Festival Johannesburg
- Lets Play Outside Fest 2018
- Johannesburg Afro-Latin Festival
- Soweto Dance Movement
- Corona Jazz Session
- Woza Albert The Play
- Tattoo Social Lifestyle (Tattoo Art Exhibition)
- The Joburg Ballert Carmen
- The Colour Purple
- Valentine's day at the Orbit Downstairs
- The People Of Braamfontein
The Alexander Theatre in Braamfontein first opened its doors in 1951 as a place the Johannesburg Repertory Players could call home.