During his illustrious career, he has been responsible for the Virgin Upperclass lounge as executive chef, and managed the executive catering for Mercedes Benz and Vodaworld.
Citrum and well-known food personality and manufacturer of herbs and spices, Cass Abrahams, produced a range of African spices and sauces called Chef Khumalo’s Africa in a Bottle, which can be found on the shelves of supermarkets in 11 European countries and 4 American states.
Citrum currently has his own exclusive catering company, Asidle Gourmet Catering, that caters for weddings, parties and staff restaurants. Citrum scooped second price as entrepreneur of the year 2005 from the SAB kick start programme in Gauteng getting a grant of R80 000 and he went on to achieve second place in the National Entrepreneur of the Year 2006 winning R75 000.
As a celebrity chef for Cotton Road, an agent that represented chefs in South Africa, Citrum’s voice could be heard in a regular weekly slot on Metro FM. He has graced the pages of innumerable magazines, including Food & Home, True Love, Drum and Pace, he has also done a number of TV shows and has worked with some of the world’s top celebrity chefs including Ainsley Harriot, Alan Coxon and Aldo Zilli. Citrum has hosted a number of TV shows such as Chef in My Kitchen and Whip the Chef.
Citrum has travelled extensively across the globe on food promotions, visiting over 15 countries around Europe, Caribbean and Asia to promote the art and science of South African cuisine He recently travelled around Alabama.
He initiated the Culinary Arts Association Of South Africa, an organization that promotes and createsawareness about South African and African cuisine. He is currently the Vice President.
Citrum’s passion for training is satisfied by sharing his experiences and the skills he has acquired in his career and through his exposure to cuisines from around the world with the young chefs of the future and the ordinary South Africans that are passionate about food.
- Favourite shopping haunts: Woodmead Makro, Sandton City, Carlsworld Shopping Centre.
- Favourite market: City Deep.
- Favourite ingredients: Chocolate, Garlic, Olive oil, Onions, Lamb, Venison, Mushrooms, Basil, Parsley, Coriander and Salmon.
- Best produce: Beefy Meats, Olifantsfontein 011 316-3233. Lamarina Fisheries, Modderfontein 011 997-0500, Tip Top Meats 011 433-1129, The Fruit Spot 011 444-0777, Flower Spot 011804-5449.
- Best cooking school for people who want to do short courses: HTA
011 285 0916/37 or 083 266 8824.
Citrum runs three businesses:
- A catering company named Asidle Gourmet catering, this company caters for special events, corporate functions as well as private parties www.asidle.com 011 310 876/072 476-2109.
- TechnoPro enterprise, this company organises events hires PA systems, DJ equipment as well as catering equipment www.technopro-group.com 011 310-8761/079 504-7072.
- Culinary Passions provider. This company provides chefs, waiters and bar staff training 011 310-219.