Perfect for an intimate gourmet picnic! Treat someone special to these delicious Ciabattas – food of love to share on the lawn or in front of the fire complimented by Pink Bubbly!
Ciabattas for two
Serves 2 people.
2 Medium Ciabatta Breads
1 Red Pepper
1 Baby Marrow
½ Red Onion
3 Slices Black Forest Ham
2 Slices Smoked Mozzarella
1 Tbls Basil Pesto
3 Tbls Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbls Brown Sugar
What to do
- Grilled Veggie & Feta Ciabatta with Basil Pesto:
Slice Baby Marrow into 5mm slices lengthways.Quarter Red Pepper and remove pips. Slice Aubergine into 5mm (or thicker) slices lengthways. Slice Onion.
- Baby Marrow:
Lightly spray or brush with Olive Oil, and place on a very hot griddle pan to create a seared look on both sides. When the slices are soft to the touch, remove from heat, place in container, season and cover.
- Red Pepper:
With the skin side up, place slices under a very hot grill until most of the skin is black and blistered. Remove and cover immediately. Allow peppers to ‘sweat’ for a few minutes, and then peel away the skin from the flesh, discard skins. Season flesh with your choice of spices and red wine vinegar.
Arrange slices on an oven tray and drizzle well with olive oil. Place under the grill in the centre of the oven. Once the slices become soft and almost translucent, turn each slice around until all the flesh is soft and slightly grilled. Remove tough purple skin by pulling it off. Season and cover.
- Red Onion:
Over a low heat, fry sliced onion in some olive oil until it becomes translucent. Add Balsamic Vinegar and brown sugar and cook over low heat until the onion starts to caramelise. Remove from heat.
NOTE: All the veggies can be prepared before hand and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Slice the Ciabatta lengthways. Drizzle the inside with olive oil, and flatten on a hot griddle pan to toast the inside of the bread. Smear the Basil Pesto onto the bread and layer with Aubergines, Red Pepper, Baby Marrow and Caramalised Red Onion. Crumble as much Danish Feta over it as you’d like.
- Black Forest Ham and Smoked Mozzarella Ciabatta with Rocket and Balsamic Reduction:
All the ingredients can be bought sliced, so this one is very little effort! Slice the Ciabatta lengthways. Drizzle the inside with olive oil, and flatten on a hot griddle pan to toast the inside of the bread. Drizzle the Balsamic Reduction onto the bread and layer with Rocket, Smoked Mozzarella and Black Forest Ham. Drizzle with Balsamic Reduction again for a final touch!
Cut both Ciabattas in half and share!
- Be as kitsch as you possibly can! Serve heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, use heart shaped cookie cutters to shape slices of your favourite fruits, serve drinks with heart shaped ice cubes – be creative and incorporate heart shapes into all your dishes during the day.
- Colour coordinate! Red and pink are the colours of the day. Decorate the house with red flowers or red candles, serve Pink Bubbly, Shirley Temple’s, Strawberries and Cherries and decorate your table with all the red and pink glasses, candles, little bottles, napkins etc you can lay your hands on.
- Remember, Valentine’s is not about being stylish, it really is a day to let loose on hearts and hot colours, and to enjoy with the ones you love!
Win a Lekkerbek Hamper
The Lekkerbek team are offering a hamper worth R575.00 to one lucky subscriber.
The Hamper contains:
- MC Square La Vie en Rosé Sparkling Wine
- Flute Champagne Glasses (x2)
- Black Forest & Smoked Mozzarella Ciabatta(with Rocket & Balsamic Reduction)
- Grilled Vegetables & Feta Ciabatta (with Caramelised Onion & Basil Pesto)
- Pickle Trio (Onions, Olives & Gherkins)
- Cheese Selection (Gorgonzola, Huguenot, Brie, Smoked Mozzarella & Tomato & Garlic Gouda)
- Provita (2 Packets)
- Chocolate Brownies (x2)
Heart Cookies (x4)
(Includes Basket, Plates, Knives, Forks & Serviettes)
To be entered into the lucky draw email Shaun with all your contact details. Entries close on Monday, 8th February. Prize will be available for collection from our offices.
For more recipes and information follow the links alongside.