For the crust:
- 250g all purpose flour
- 30g powdered almonds
- 150g butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 80g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch powdered vanilla
For the salted caramel sauce:
- 70g sugar
- 70ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp butter
- pinch of salt
For the chocolate cream:
- 500ml heavy cream
- 350g dark chocolate
For the whipped cream:
- 300ml heavy cream, very cold
- 2 tbsps sugar
- Optional: unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- Prepare the crust. Whizz all the ingredients in a food processor to form a dough. Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out the pastry and line a deep 24-26cm tart tin with it; patch any holes if crumbly. Cover and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Prick the tart shell all over with a fork and bake about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool.
- Prepare the caramel sauce. Place sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. The caramel must turn a rich amber colour; then remove the pan from heat and whisk in butter and cream (the mixture will bubble up, so be careful). Pour caramel into cooled tart shell and let cool slightly; refrigerate for an hour.
- Prepare the chocolate cream (ganache). Chop the chocolate. Bring heavy cream to boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Put chocolate into a medium bowl and pour in the hot cream. Let sit for a few minutes, then stir until smooth. Pour the ganache evenly over tart and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Before serving, prepare the whipped cream. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream with the sugar until firm. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie and dust with some cocoa powder if desired.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.com