This dish is perfect for a bachelor or someone who does not have a well stocked spice rack. You do not need a huge selection of spices to prepare delicious meals. This lamb dish uses a few spices to create a memorable meal. Grated onion is commonly used in Arabic cooking to create a coating for lamb or chicken. The sticky onion paste enables the spices to ‘stick’ onto the meat. There are many ways of making spinach a part of a meal without serving overcooked green pulp on a plate. The spinach in the pulao is cooked for a very short time to retain its colour and nutritional value.
1,2kg lamb shoulder, cut into pieces
40ml sunflower oil
2 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
2 onions, grated
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp crushed ginger
62,5ml coriander, chopped
50ml roasted pine nuts or flaked almonds
6 hardboiled eggs, optional
Heat oil in a pot, add cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Fry the whole spices until fragrant. Add onions and sauté until golden brown. Add crushed ginger and garlic and sauté for a few seconds ensuring that the garlic does not burn. Add the lamb pieces and salt. Coat the lamb pieces with the fried onion mixture. Continue to sauté the lamb until it begins to stick. Add boiling water and simmer until the lamb is tender. While the lamb is cooking, place the eggs in a separate pot and bring to the boil. Boil for 8 minutes. Place the boiled eggs under cold running water until the eggs cool down completely. Shell the boiled eggs and cut into halves. Garnish the cooked lamb with halved boiled eggs, roasted pine nuts and coriander. Serve with Spekko Pure Basmati Aromatic Indian Rice Spinach Pulao.
Spekko Spinach Pulao
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, sliced
200g baby spinach
3 cups cooked Spekko Pure Basmati Aromatic Indian Rice
Salt to season
Heat oil in a pot on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and when they begin to splutter add the sliced onion. Saute the onion until it is golden brown. Add baby spinach and sauté for a minute. Fold the cooked spinach into hot Spekko Pure Basmati Aromatic Indian Rice. Adjust the seasoning before serving.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
– Chicken can be substituted with lamb. Chicken on the bone has far more flavour than boneless chicken.
– This dish tastes even better when it is made in advance. Prepare the dish and allow to cool thoroughly before storing in the refrigerator.
– This lamb can be used as a delicious filling for wraps.
– Add a tsp of red chilli powder after the garlic has been sautéed. This results in a spicier dish.
– For a one pot meal I layer the spinach pulao over the cooked lamb. Pour over 125ml hot water and steam for 5 minutes on a very low heat. Garnish with boiled eggs and serve piping hot.
– To add an exotic twist to this dish, try making it with Spekko’s Royal Umbrella Thai Jasmine Rice variant.