Jodi-Ann Pearton won the Spekko Rice Young Chef of the Year Award earlier this year at Hostex in Cape Town. More on Jodi-Ann
Her winning menu included the following:
Black Sesame & Spring Onion Rice, stuffed tomato with oil poached kingklip, rice crusted prawn & basil emulsion
Crown Roasted Breast of Chicken with a Rice Flour, Braised Chicken Tortellini, butternut fondant and Dukkah Rice
Baked Rice & Cranberry Custard served with a Rice Flour Brownie & a White Chocolate & Citrus Semi-Freddo.
Below is her award winning dessert recipe:
Baked Rice & Cranberry Custard
100 ml Spekko Pure Basmati, Aromatic Indian Rice
125 ml cream
60g vanilla sugar
40g dried cranberries
1. Heat cream, sugar, cranberries & vanilla in a pan until it just simmers.
2. Add the rice & cook untgil it starts to thicken.
3. Allow the mix to cool & then add an egg.
4. Pour the mixture into greased moulds & bake at 140 degrees C in a bain marie until just set.
Rice Flour Brownie
200g dark chocolate
100g Spekko White Rice
1. To make the rice flour: process the rice until it forms a white powder. Pass through a fine sieve & use the flour for baking.
2. Melt the butter & chocolate.
3. Whisk the eggs & sugar until thick & fluffy.
4. Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs.
5. Sieve the cocoa and 50g rice flour and add to the egg mixture.
6. Bake at 160 degrees C until just set.
50g dried cranberries
1 orange, juiced and zested
1. Place all ingredients in a pot and simmer gently until it starts to thicken.
Naartjie & Mascarpone Semi-Freddo
1 egg white
95g castor sugar
1 leaf gelatine
1 orange, or naartjie, zest only
2,5ml mixed spice
56g citrus peel
1. Mix the mascarpone & naartjie zest together.
2. Whisk the egg white & sugar to form a thick meringue.
3. Mix the meringue mixture into the mascarpone mixture.
4. Pour into oiled moulds & freeze until service.
1 orange, segmented
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2g fresh mint
30g seasonal fruit
1. Mix all ingredients together & allow to infuse.
1. Place the warm custard onto the left of the plate & top with cranberry relish.
2. Place the semi-freddo next to the custard & then the brownie on the right of the plate.
3. Dress with citrus salad & garnish.
For more Spekko recipes follow the links alongside.
Once again Spekko is giving Joburg readers the opportunity to win a fabulous Carol Boyes rice bowl and spoon. All you need to do is email Shaun and answer the following question:
What award did this weeks’ guest chef win?
Entries close on Tuesday, 5th October 2010. One entry per person. Please note, the prizes may differ from the visuals published.