Granola and Cranberry Buttermilk Rusks
4 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
250g butter, diced
1 ½ cups buttermilk
150g Jungle Energy Crunch Granola
50g dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl.
3. Rub the butter in until breadcrumb consistency.
4. Beat together the eggs and buttermilk then mix into the dry ingredients.
5. Mix in the Jungle Energy Crunch Granola and cranberries then press the mixture firmly into a lined square baking tin.
6. Bake for about 1 hour or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and slice into rusks.
8. Turn the oven down to 90 degrees Celsius.
9. Place the cut pieces onto flat baking trays and dry in the oven with the door slightly ajar – this will take about 4 hours.
10. Store in an air-tight container and serve with hot tea or coffee.
Chocolate Crunch Brownies
Makes 12 brownies
250g melted butter
2 cups castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup cocoa
¾ cups flour
½ tsp salt
375g chopped chocolate
125g Chocolate Flavour Crunchalots
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
2. Mix together the castor sugar, eggs, vanilla essence and melted butter until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the flour, cocoa and salt and mix until a batter forms.
4. Add the chopped chocolate and Chocolate Flavour Crunchalots, then mix.
5. Pour the mixture into a lined square baking tin and bake for 30 minutes, the brownies should still be slightly gooey inside.
6. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Spicy Baked Eggs with Oat Flapjacks
Ingredients for the oat flapjacks
1 cup flour
1 cup Jungle Oats
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ cup buttermilk
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
Method for the oat flapjacks
1. Place flour, Jungle Oats, sugar, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
2. Whisk together buttermilk, oil and eggs in a separate bowl.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients then mix well to combine.
4. Heat a lightly greased frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the pan, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake.
5. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
Ingredients for the spicy baked eggs
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Method for the spicy baked eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Heat a pan (one that can go straight into the oven), then add the oil and brown the sausages on all sides.
3. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside, then add the onions and sauté until translucent.
4. Add the paprika, tomatoes and sugar, then cook for 2 minutes.
5. Slice the sausages, add them to the tomato mix then season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Use a wooden spoon to make 4 gaps in the mixture, then crack the eggs into the holes.
7. Place the entire pan into the oven, then bake for 8 minutes (bake for longer if you prefer your eggs more cooked).
8. Serve the baked eggs on top of the flapjacks.
Recipes by Zola Nene