1. How did you start your career in the hair industry?
I started my career in hairdressing at the Carlton Hair academy, the best college in South Africa for hairdressing. I then went to further my education and career in London and then Los Angeles.
2. Which hairstylist/s do you look up to for inspiration?
The work of Sam McKnight always inspires me, he is a session stylist working for Vogue and creates all the looks for the Chanel runway shows. The most inspiring and creative stylists for education are the Allilon Education team in London.
3. Which hair trends are you loving right now for both male and female?
I’m loving the gender neutral looks at the moment that work for both men and women – all the looks in the new Gucci campaigns. The short, edgy micro fringe is cool with any length hair.
4. What are some of your must-have hair products?
Davines Oi oil is a fine wonder oil that adds manageability to all hair types. I’m also obsessed with all the products in the new My Hair Assistant by Davines, especially the texture powder and brush.
5. If you could have only one hairstyle for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Just having hair for me would be amazing!! But the Bob is a true classic that can be updated every season.
6. How would you compare the hair industry in SA to the rest of the world’s?
The South African Hair industry is world class and the education at Carlton Hair Academy is comparable to the best education in the world, plus you receive a British City and Guilds certificate that is excepted all over the world. Carlton Hair also brings out the Allilon team from London, who are the best education team in the world, up to three times a year. Allilon travel the globe inspiring and educating hairdressers.
7. What advice would you give to aspiring hair stylists?
Hairdressing is an exciting and varied career; the sky really is the limit. Make sure you get the best education, keep up with the best education and all the innovative trends so you can play on a world platform.
For More Information
For more information about Carlton Hair Hyde Park, call them on (011) 325 4995, or visit their website at www.carltonhair.com.