You can feel the excitement in the air as the announcement for the release of the Samsung Galaxy S9 broke. The Samsung Galaxy S9 will be released on Friday, 16 March, even though pre-orders started on 1 March 2018. The new phone has amazing features such as the F1.5 aperture mode which finds light even in the dark. The low light camera delivers clear photos late into the night. Meaning your camera no longer has a curfew. It now edge-to-edge display, AR emoji, a powerful camera and stylish super-slow motion feature. Samsung has quite a reputation of releasing the finest digits and they did not disappoint this time either.
Samsung’s South African competitors Apple and Huawei are in for a run for their money with the S9. Its sleek design, top-of-the-line tech and durability are key factors that won’t easily be beaten. The fact that the camera on this machine can shoot 4k at 60fps is a jaw-dropper in itself. We won’t be surprised if D-SLR photo and video shooters dump their cameras for one of these bad boys.
- Dimensions: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm (5.81 x 2.70 x 0.33 in)
- OS: Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP18
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Mongoose M3 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- Internal Memory: 64/128/256 GB, 4 GB RAM
- Camera: Primary 12 MP (f/1.5-2.4, 26mm, 1/2.5″, 1.4 µm, Dual Pixel PDAF), phase detection autofocus, OIS, LED flash,
- Video: 2160p@60fps, 1080p@240fps, 720p@960fps, HDR, dual-video rec.
- Sensors: Iris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
Price: R15 499 (suggested retail price at the time of writing)