Our guest chef this week is Karma restaurant’s Zara. She has won awards for the Best Indian Cuisine in Gauteng 7 years running and wants to share one of her recipes with Joburg readers.
1 ½ l milk
375ml (1 ½ cup Spekko Jasmine Fragrant Rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes.
750 ml (3 cups) water
250ml (1 cup) sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp crushed cardamom seeds
10-15 strands saffron, crushed, soaked in 1 tsp. warm milk
7-8 almonds chopped
7-8 unsalted pistachios chopped
1 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp chopped dried apricot
1 tsp chopped dried figs
- Boil rice in water till half done.
- Drain the rice and separate it on a tray over a dry cloth.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and bring to a boil. Add rice, stirring continuously on medium heat.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, to keep rice from sticking to bottom. Make sure the rice does not get mashed – stir in same direction and slowly
- Add sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, saffron, almonds and pistachios.
- Once it is ready switch off and add the dried fruit. Serve hot.
Zara is a woman of many talents and holds many roles – Bsc in Information Technology, professional chef, owner, host and entrepreneur. Read more
Once again Spekko is giving Joburg readers the opportunity to win a fabulous Carol Boyes rice bowl and spoon. All you need to do is email Kobie and tell her which Spekko Rice variant is used in this week’s recipe. Entries close on Tuesday, 29th June 2010. One entry per person. Please note, the prizes may differ from the visuals published.