- 1 cup India Pale Ale
- 1 cup half and half (half cream; half milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg to taste
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups gouda, grated
- 500 g elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard or hot sauce (optional)
- In a small sauce pan, bring the half and half and beer just to a boil.
- At the same time, in a second, heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour and whisk until combined. Let cook for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour in half and half/beer mixture all at once, whisking vigorously until smooth. Add the cheese. Season with salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg.
- In a large pot of boiling (salted) water, cook the macaroni until al dente; drain in a colander and set aside.
- Fold in the cooked macaroni and salt and pepper to taste. stir in mustard or hot sauce if preferred.
Recipe adapted form the Brooklyn Brew Shop.