The planetarium hosts about 70 000 visitors per year who come to view numerous displays, and engage in tours, lectures and workshops.
Situated in Milner Park, the planetarium serves as an academic and educational centre for scholars, researchers and academics who study astronomy.
Most visitors are school children and they are taught about the star signs, while older children are taught about the movement of the moon and how it changes in relation to the earth. Adults are able to explore astronomy in more detail.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- A Special Offer For Our Readers At Parc Fermé!
- SHF Has Something Extra Special For You This Valentine’s Day!
- Celebrating V-Day With The Arbour Cafe's New Menu
- A Family Experience Like No Other At Emperors Palace
- Secret Sunset Vol. 3 – Pretoria
- Timo ODV at Arcade Empire
- Francois van Coke – New Album Launch
- Valentine Tango
- Don't Miss Leo Sayer LIVE In Concert This April!
- The Beeld Holiday Show 2017
- Le Movie Club at The Bioscope
- ColourFlux - Jennifer Morrison
- The Joburg Prawn Festival
The Johannesburg Planetarium is a planetarium owned by the University of the Witwatersrand, located on the University’s East Campus in Braamfontein
Venue Name:Johannesburg Planetarium
Yale Road Entrance 10, Wits Campus, Off Empire Road, Braamfontein, Johannesburg
Opening Hours:Every Monday 7pm Sky Tonight Fridays 8pm Cosmic Origins Saturdays 10:30am Space Travel (5-8yrs) Saturdays 3pm Cosmic Origins
Type of Fun:Outdoor & Animal Outings
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingBased on 14 reviews
This is an amazing experience for children and adults. The dome it self is spectacular and it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. They also set up telescopes to look at visible planets and...
Terry T Says:
Amazing reproduction of the nights sky and all that it has to offer. Even tho the facility is fairly old now, the vista's of the night skies are amazing. Well worth a visit.
The planetarium is really worth taking your children! The staff has a story lined up for them more than four the accompanying parents /adults.