For the crust:
- 11⁄3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the cheesecake:
- 11⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- Cut softened cream cheese into pieces.
- Prepare chocolate crumb crust by crushing chocolate wafers and mixing butter and sugar in with the crumbs. Press the mixture firmly into a 22cm springform pan.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC degrees.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt chocolate with Kahlua and butter; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar and salt; add sour cream and blend well.
- Add cream cheese to egg mixture; beat until smooth.
- Gradually blend in chocolate mixture.
- Turn into prepared crust and bake for 35 minutes or until filling is barely set in centre.
- Turn off heat and let stand in oven for 15 minutes with door open; then take out of oven and let stand at room temperature for one hour.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.