This is sadly Spekko’s last insert with us but don’t worry, they will be back in March 2011 with delicious treats for Joburg readers to try out.
Tex mex wraps
750ml Spekko Brown rice
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red/green chilli, seeded and chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
500g lean beef mince
150 ml beef stock
1×410 g can red kidney beans
30ml cooking oil
6 tortilla wraps
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
410g can onion and tomato mix
1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
10ml soft brown sugar
- Prepare Spekko rice according to instructions on pack.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic and chili and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add red pepper and sauté for a further minute, add mince and stir using fork until mince turns colour.
- Add the beef stock and reduce heat.
- Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add the cooked rice and parsley and toss through lightly.
- Meanwhile, heat all the ingredients for salsa and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas according to instructions on pack. Divide the rice mixture between tortillas and fold into a cone shape.
- Spoon salsa over and serve with sliced avocado.
Creamy fish and Spekko rice bake
750ml Spekko Long Grain Parboiled rice
30ml cake flour
250ml cheddar cheese, grated (100 g)
10ml lemon juice
750g oak-smoked haddock
30ml sunflower oil
150g frozen peas, cooked
150g frozen carrots, cooked
30ml flat-leaf parsley, chopped
500ml cheddar cheese, grated (200g)
250ml dried breadcrumbs (120g)
extra milk, for poaching
1 onion, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare Spekko rice according to pack instructions.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the flour to form a smooth paste.
- Add the milk gradually over a low heat whilst stirring with a whisk.
- Heat until sauce has thickened. Add cheese and lemon juice and mix until cheese is melted. Season to taste.
- Place the fish in a frying pan and cover with the extra milk. Simmer until fish is opaque, drain and flake.
- Heat the oil in another frying pan, add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Spoon the rice in an even layer over the base of a large greased ovenproof dish.
- Mix the fish, onion and vegetables and spoon on top of the rice layer, season to taste, sprinkle with the parsley.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the fish layer. Sprinkle a layer of cheese over and top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 – 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are golden.
- Serve with a green salad.
Next week – another mouthwatering recipe from the Lekkerbek team.