Ingredients for Mince Filling
500g Lean Mince
Half bunch Spinach
20ml Sunflower Oil
5ml Dry Chillies
5ml Dry Coriander
Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 tsp Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Beef stock
1 big Eggplant, chopped in small blocks
1 Onion, chopped
1 Red Pepper, chopped (optional)
Ingredients for Pinwheel Pastry Topping
220g (450ml) Cake Flour
7ml Baking Powder
7ml Curry Powder
70g (75ml) Butter
50g (50ml) Butter
30g (50ml) Sultanas
25ml Desiccated Coconut
How to make the Pie
- Heat oil in a pan, fry onion and mince, add garlic and fry until mince is nearly cooked.
- Add salt, dry chilli, coriander, black pepper, eggplant & red pepper – fry another few minutes.
- Wash the spinach, roll the leaves into a tube and slice thinly – add to mince.
- Sprinkle with beef stock – add touch of water and cook until spinach is just wilted.
- Check your taste – add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Cool down.
How to make the Pastry Topping
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder, salt and curry powder.
- Rub the butter into this mixture with your finger tips – until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add milk little by little until you have a stiff dough.
- For the filling mix the butter, chutney, sultanas and coconut.
- Roll the dough on floured surface to about 7mm thick.
- Spread the sultana filling on the dough.
- Roll the pastry up like a cigar and cut in slices – about 1cm thick.
How to Assemble
- Use a big pie dish or individual pie dishes like we did.
- Rub a little butter on the inside of the dish(es) and fill with the mince mixture.
- Mix milk and egg and pour over mince.
- Top with the pastry pinwheels and bake at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes – or until the pastry is golden brown.
Serve with sambals or salad and chutney on the side. We used the Nuweland Roasted Butternut Chutney – divine! You can get it from LekkerBek, just mail us by following the links alongside.
If you don’t have time for the pastry-pinwheel schlep:
- Buy Puff Pastry for the topping – brush with beaten egg and bake. OR
- Line the pie dish with puff pastry, dish your mince inside and top with grated cheddar cheese. OR
- For a slightly skinnier version, top your pie with Phyllo Pastry – brush with melted butter and bake. OR
- Top it with mashed potatoes that you can make yourself or the instant variety – dot with butter and bake