2 onions, diced
2 leeks, sliced and diced
3 carrots, diced
3 sticks celery, diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small baby cabbages, shredded
¼ cup pasta (we use Divella Pasta di Semola – it must be tiny pieces)
1 packet Minestrone Soup powder
Knob of butter
1 tbsp beef stock powder
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can cannellini beans
1 chorizo sausage or a Russian (optional), halved and sliced
5 – 7 cups water
Salt, black pepper and sugar to taste
Grated Parmesan for serving
- Heat a little oil and a knob of butter in a deep, heavy-based pot.
- Add the onions and leeks, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes and sauté a bit more. Add baby cabbage.
- Add stock powder and the packet of minestrone soup.
- Add tinned tomatoes, water and pasta.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes with the lid on, adding more water if needed. Stir every now and then.
- Add the drained cannellini beans. Taste and add salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the sausage to the mix (you can fry the sliced sausage on the side before adding for more flavour if you’d like.)
- Serve topped generously with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.