- 1½ cans cooked (unsalted) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1¼ cup ground almonds
- 12 medjool dates
- 4 tbso pure maple syrup
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 chia eggs (see below for how to make these)
- Chopped walnuts
- Dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the drained beans and dates in a food processor and pulse a few times, then blend until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and process for another minute.
- Line up a baking pan with parchment (I used an 8-inch-square cake pan) or grease it with coconut oil. Pour in the mixture and distribute evenly into the pan.
- Sprinkle walnut pieces on top (if using) and bake for about 25 minutes until flaky on top but still gooey in the center (the brownies will firm up as they cool). Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to a week in the fridge.
By Candice May