6 good-quality sausage, skins removed
1 tsp fennel seed
250g pack mushroom, sliced
150ml red wine (optional)
660g jar tomato pasta sauce
300g penne or pasta of your choice
Grated or shaved Parmesan, to serve
1. Heat a large, wide frying pan, then crumble in the sausage meat and fennel seeds (there’s no need to add any oil).
2. Fry for a few mins until golden and the fat is released, stirring well to break up the meat.
3. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few mins until they beginning to soften.
4. Stir in the wine now, if using, bubble for 1 min, then add the tomato sauce and heat through until bubbling.
5. Meanwhile, boil the penne as per packet instructions.
6. When ready, drain and tip the pasta into the sauce. Mix well until completely coated, then divide between four plates, finishing with a little Parmesan.