Cecil John Rhodes built the Rand Club shortly after the discovery of gold in Johannesburg and since then the club has undergone very few renovations. The building today is 22 storeys high and is decorated in a proudly South AFrican yet slightly quirky manner. Perhaps one of the most spectacular things about the Rand Club is that the building as it stands today in Braamfontein, looks as it did in 1904. Therefore visitors can experience a slice of Johannesburg’s history as it was over a hundred years ago.
The Rand Club is now open to visitors (non-members) as long as a tour is pre-arranged with the management. It is also available for private functions and events. To find out more, click here.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- African Summer Christmas Picnic & Carols
- Classic Car Show
- East Rand Crafters Market - Christmas Market
- Vegetarian Spring Festival
- Experience Festive Treks Or Explore Hogmanay This Holiday Season With Busabout
- Maya Jane Coles at Boiler Room
- Concrete, Cocktails & Canapés
- Mega Beer Tour
- Fournos Has Your Christmas Wrapped Up
- Step Into Summer With Soul
- Joburg Pride After Party
- Saturday Market With Live Entertainment
The Rand Club was founded in October 1887. The Rand Club’s colourful and often dramatic history is closely linked with the development of the world’s greatest goldfield and with the emergence of modern South Africa.