You will need
1 bunch or packet fresh Spinach
1 large Onion, finely chopped
1 Clove Garlic, chopped
3 extra large eggs
1 tin Sweet Corn – drained or
Creamed sweet corn – no draining required
1 tbls flour
White Cheddar Cheese, grated
Salt and Black Pepper
How to make it
- Wash the spinach and chop off the hard white stalks, or if you are using ready chopped fresh spinach, just rinse it under running water.
- Blanche the spinach in hot boiling water until just limp and still green.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water – chop roughly.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in your pot and add a dash of olive oil.
- Gently fry chopped onion until translucent, add the chopped garlic and fry for one more minute.
- Add a tablespoon of flour to the onion mixture cook a bit and then add some milk, stir with a whisk until you have a white sauce.
- Add the chopped spinach, sweet corn and some more milk or a dash of cream, bring to boil and cook through.
- Taste and season to your liking with salt and black pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Pour mixture into an ovenproof dish that you have smeared with a knob of butter.
- Mix the eggs with about half a cup of milk, season with salt and pepper, and pour over spinach pie.
- Top the pie with grated cheese and a few knobs of butter and bake until set and golden brown.
- You can turn up the heat to 200°C for the last bit of browning.
Mix in a few cubes of Feta for a cheesier version.
Spice it up with some fresh chopped chillies.
You can microwave this dish:
Use a microwave safe bowl, add the blanched chopped Spinach, chopped Onion, 2 tablespoons Self Raising Flour, half cup cooking Oil, half cup Milk, 3 Eggs, 1 tin Sweet Corn, 1cup grated Cheese, salt and pepper. Mix the whole lot, pop into microwave and bake on high for 10 minutes – just like that.