3 sweet potatoes, washed
6 leeks washed, outer layer removed and cut in half length-ways
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 litre vegetable stock
125ml cream or full cream milk
250g streaky bacon
1 tbsp honey
5ml chilli flakes
Black pepper and salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Prick the skins of the sweet potatoes, rub with oil and place on a baking tray. Bake until soft – approximately 45 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potatoes.
- Place washed and sliced leeks on a baking tray, drizzle with 15ml of the oil and bake in the same oven for 15 minutes, until just tender and crisping at the edges.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft and cool enough to handle, remove the skins and chop roughly.
- Roughly the cooked leeks, keeping some aside for garnish.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a deep pot, fry the onion until translucent and add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes and leeks, pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and blend till smooth.
- Place bacon on a baking tray and grill until crisp, remove from the oven and drain excess fat.
- Drizzle bacon with the honey and sprinkle with chilli flakes. Return to oven for about 10 minutes and allow bacon to caramelize.
- Reheat the blended soup and add the cream or milk, *You might want to add some more hot vegetable stock because it is quite thick.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Chop reserved leeks and bacon in to spoon size bits, dish hot soup into preheated soup bowls and garnish with bacon and leeks. Serve with hot crusty bread.