Join F&HE and the South African Olympic Chef Team for an experience of a lifetime as they prepare for the Culinary Olympics
The men and women in white who carry the culinary flag for South Africa will jet off to represent SA at the Culinary Olympics in Germany in October 2008. The equivalent of the sporting Olympics, this international culinary competition is held every four years and attracts the world’s top chefs. As part of their final preparation, Team SA will present a three-course lunch menu to Food & Home Entertaining readers at the Johannesburg Country Club, brought to you by Unilever Foodsolutions and Ecolab.
The menu will be the same as that which will be presented to judges at the Culinary Olympics, and the kitchens will be replicas of the Olympic competition kitchens.
Team SA’s 11 members, many of whom have won national and international awards, are:
• Bertus Basson, from Overture in Durbanville
• Trevor Boyd, executive chef, Sheraton Pretoria Hotel
• Dilene Cranna (pastry squad), Sheraton Pretoria Hotel
• Henrico Grobbelaar (development squad), executive chef, Vergelegen Wine Estate
• Vicky Gurovich, The Saxon Boutique Hotel
• Allistaire Lawrence (development squad), Roots Restaurant at Forum Homini
• Rudi Liebenberg, executive chef, The Saxon Boutique Hotel
• Samantha Montzinger (development squad), executive chef and catering manager for Fedics
• Candice Philip (development squad), The Saxon Boutique Hotel
• Marli Roberts, regional customer chef at Unilever Foodsolutions
• Garth Shnier (team manager and director), executive chef, Sandton Sun
Date: Wednesday, 24th of September 2008
Cost: R295pp, which includes the three-course Olympic menu, Meerendal wine, a gift bag and a three-month complimentary subscription to Food & Home Entertaining
Time: 11h30 – 14h30
Venue: Johannesburg Country
Club, 1 Napier Rd, Aucklandpark
Crayfish and tomato terrine, curried crayfish flan, butterpoached crayfish, mustard dill cured salmon trout, corn salad and a cucumber raita
Beetroot and thyme-marinated springbok loin, creamed barley with juniper-braised springbok shoulder and smoked porcini mushrooms, confit butternut with twicebaked butternut auflauf, truffled celeriac purée and beetroot and pomegranate jus
Naartjie and chocolate malva pudding, naartjie sorbet, and a mascarpone and Van Der Hum-macerated fruit slice
To book, please call the number alongside and have your credit card details handy. Bookings will be taken from 9h00 – 16h00. Bookings are on a first come first served basis.