This small 200-seater theatre houses a variety of acclaimed productions and adds a phenomenal cultural dimension to the square. Over 450 productions – including plays, musicals, lunch hour and children’s theatre have been presented here in the last 15 years. In addition to this numerous corporate events, concerts, industrial theatre and a regular youth theatre training programme in the performing arts take place here.
The Theatre on the Square also boasts 24 Naledi nominations, four Naledi Winners and several awards for theatre excellence.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- Joburg Cocktail Festival
- Beauty Swop – Beauty Expo Johannesburg
- Sandton City Takes Family Fun To The Next Level With A Brand-New Area
- Don't Miss The Sandton City Nintendo Switch Pop-Up Zone!
- Michelangelo's Exec. Chef To Lead SA To Olympic Gold
- Seven Reasons Why You Need To Visit Sandton City This Month
- Whisky & Spirits Live
- Unleash Your Influence With Gilan Gork's Masterclass At The Maslow
- The Gardens Of St Christopher Open Garden With SA Guide-Dogs
- But First Dessert @ Krunch
- Get Inspired At Leaderex
- La Senza Sandton City To Launch Brand-New Concept Store
The Auto & General Theatre on the Square (Formerly known as The Old Mutual Theatre on the Square) can be found in Nelson Mandela Square at Sandton City.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingBased on 10 reviews
Saw the preview of House of Truth, a one man play about Can Themba. It was a wonderful introduction to this writer -- we went back the next day and bought the script and then researched more about...
This is a fantastic, intimate little theatre situated in the corner of Nelson Mandela Square in Sandton. They frequently put new productions by South African talent on stage and there are lunch hour...
Dewy W Says:
Fantastic venue always so welcoming. This is so typical of a South African theatre venue, moving with the times yet capturing the beauty and eloquence of our history. I really love this warm...