This small 200-seater theatre houses a variety of acclaimed productions and adds a phenomenal cultural dimension to the square. Over 450 productions – including plays, musicals, lunch hour and children’s theatre have been presented here in the last 15 years. In addition to this numerous corporate events, concerts, industrial theatre and a regular youth theatre training programme in the performing arts take place here.
The Theatre on the Square also boasts 24 Naledi nominations, four Naledi Winners and several awards for theatre excellence.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- Katy's Palace Bar Turns 5!
- Trends To Look Out For At Design Joburg
- Don't Miss Out On Joburg's Newest Decor & Design Show – Design Joburg
- The Arnold Classic Africa 2017
- Healthy (Chocolate) Eating For The Kids This Holiday
- Free The Night 17 – U18
- St Stithians Open Air Cinema
- StrEAT Food & Comedy Festival
- Saint Paddy's Day Bush Pub Run
- Sandton Craft Beer Fair
- H.O.T. Day Out
- Piccolo Mondo Offers A Fine Dining Experience You Cannot Miss!
The Auto & General Theatre on the Square (Formerly known as The Old Mutual Theatre on the Square) can be found in Nelson Mandela Square at Sandton City.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingBased on 7 reviews
Found this venue while staying at the Michelangelo Hotel , Nelson Mandela Square. Saw a one woman play. Nice small theatre. Great seating anywhere. Bar area with a few tables.
Angela H Says:
Firstly, theatre is not for the bourgeois. It is not an indulgence in snobbery, in fact it is a delight for anyone's senses. The stage celebrates many South Africa talented artist, creators, writers...
I love this play house. it's as Moulin Rouge as a trip to Paris and I always feel I should be dressed accordingly with a feather boa wrapped diva like around my throat. One wallows in decadent decor...