Durban Style Lamb Curry
Recipe by Shaun Munro – Lingela at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
100ml sunflower oil
30g biryani mix
3 large onions diced
1 teaspoon fresh blended garlic
1 teaspoon fresh blended ginger
20g curry leaves
4 green chilies sliced
100g chopped coriander
1.5 kg lamb cubes, deboned
50g special Durban curry powder house mix
100g chilli powder
30g dhania powder
30g jeera powder
6 tomatoes, blended smooth
3 potatoes, cut into quarters and lightly coated in egg yolk
salt to taste
1. In a pot add oil, butter, biryani mix, onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, green chilies, and half the chopped coriander, sauté until the onions brown.
2. Add the meat and continue and allow the ingredients to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the spice powders (curry powder, chili powder, jeera and dhania) and cook the spices until the aromas develop.
4. Add the blended tomato and ½ cup of water and allow the curry to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes add the potatoes and a little more water allow the potatoes to cook until tender and the oil from the curry comes up to the top.
6. Adjust seasoning with salt and add the remaining chopped coriander.
7. The curry can be served with jewelled basmati rice, fresh homemade roti and a selection of pickles and sambals.
Recipe by Preshanthan Pillay – Back ‘O The Moon at Gold Reef City
2 medium to large breast duck breast
4 duck leg quarters
1 large red apples
60g brown sugar
1 teaspoon Maldon salt
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
60g cherry tomato
60g baby butternut
40g baby corn
40g baby carrots
60g baby gems
40g snow pea
2 medium potatoes
1. Trim duck leg pieces of excess fat and scrape bone clean.
2. Season, place in oven pan with butter and duck fat, cover with foil and place in oven at 120 degrees C for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Peel potato and slice into three lengthwise, use round cookie cutter to cut out shapes, place in oven tray with stock and roast until soft.
4. Trim and clean baby vegetables, slice to desired sized.
5. Core red apple and slice, cover with brown sugar and set aside.
6. Cut breast in half, season and place in hot steel pan, sear until crisp on fat side.
7. Place cooked duck leg on baking tray, thinly slice duck breast and place on tray as well, season brush with melted butter.
8. Heat potato fondant in pan and check seasoning. Sauté baby vegetables in hot pan season to taste.
9. Place sliced apple in pan and allow sugar to caramelise on both sides, (add Calvados & flambé – optional) add butter and cream allow to reduce.
10. Place duck under salamander and allow to skin to crisp up.
11. Spoon apple Calvados glaze onto plate. Place two quenelles of mashed potato onto glaze and top with duck breast.
Valrhona 5 Chocolate Bomb
Recipe by Prenolan Naidoo – The Grill Jichana at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Chocolate Mousse Ingredients
300g 60% dark chocolate
3 x 350ml cream
3 x 9g gelatine
3 x 450ml cream whipped to soft peaks
300g milk chocolate
300g white chocolate
Chocolate Mousse Method
1. Place chocolate into a bowl set over a pot with simmering water, ensure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water, once the chocolate is melted add in 350ml of cream and incorporate well.
2. Sponge 9g of gelatine with a tablespoon of hot water and add to the chocolate and cream mixture, set aside to cool.
3. Once cool fold in the 450ml of cream which has been whipped to soft peaks place into container and place into the refrigerator. Repeat the above steps for the milk and white chocolate mousse.
4. Once the mousses have set spoon into different piping backs and set aside.
Chocolate Sphere Ingredients
350g 60% dark chocolate
½ silicon sphere mould
Chocolate Sphere Method
1. Place chocolates into a bowl set over a pot with simmering water, ensure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water, once the chocolate is melted use a pastry brush and liberally brush the melted chocolate into the insides of the spherical moulds.
2. Turn upside down and let excess chocolate drip onto grease proof paper. Put chocolate mould right side up and allow the chocolate to harden.
3. When chocolate has hardened, place pressure on the middle underside of the mould and gently push the chocolate spheres out.
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients
175g 60% dark chocolate
175g milk chocolate
Chocolate Sauce Method
1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and allow chocolate to melt and come to a simmer, stirring continuously.
Assembly Of The Dish
1. Pipe the three different mousses into one of the ½ chocolate spheres so that there is a trio of mousses within that ½ sphere, then brush along the edge of the sphere with a little melted chocolate and stick the other ½ sphere on.
2. Place a small amount of melted chocolate onto a plate and stick the entire ball onto it allow 5 minutes in the fridge to harden.
3. Once hardened make a small hole at the top of the sphere with a toothpick or small knife being careful not to damage the sphere.
4. Garnish the plate with fresh berries and shaved chocolate, pour the hot chocolate sauce over the bomb when presenting to guest.