You will need
- 500g Venison mince or patties
- 250g Baby eggplant (about 8), quartered
- 2 Tins tomatoes
- 3 Tbls Olive Oil
- 7 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Heaped tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Garlic, chopped
- 6 small Leeks, finely sliced
- ½ cup Red wine
- ½ Tbs Sugar
- ½ Tbls Fresh thyme
- Fresh origanum for garnish
How to make it
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Lay egg plants face up on an oiled baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix the mince with the spices, 1 tsp garlic, 1 egg and season with salt and black pepper. Shape into little balls.
- Fry meatballs (in an oven proof pan) in a little oil until browned but not cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the leeks in the same pan until soft (about 5 minutes), add 1 tsp garlic and the thyme, fry for another minute.
- Add the red wine and tomatoes to the pan with some sugar, salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Arrange the meatballs and the egg plants in the tomato sauce.
- Break 6 eggs on top of the sauce, in between the meatballs.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for about 10 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Season with flake salt, black pepper and fresh origanum.
Serve with a starch of your choice, and enjoy!