The Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City Casino has entertained Gauteng with some of the biggest names in South African showbiz throughout the opening months of 2009. But the best is yet to come with a feast of the greatest South African performers and range of outstanding international acts still to take the stage at The Lyric for the rest of the year. The Lyric has something for everyone this year. Comedy, music, dance and so much are all on the menu for 2009.
* Enjoy two exclusive nights of rip-roaring local comedy on Friday, 29th and Saturday, 30th of May. Last Laugh at The Lyric features four of South Africa’s funniest professional comedians namely Martin Jonas, Darren Maule, Trevor Noah and David Kibuuka, in a show that is sure to have the audience rolling in the aisles.
* Popular Afrikaans singer, Lianie May, performs on Saturday, 6th of June, with Munro (a finalist in Idols 2007) as the opening act.
* South Africa’s premier country rock band, Clint & Co., is set to rock The Lyric Theatre with a once-off performance on Saturday, 13th of June.
* Bovim Ballet from Cape Town is set to bring its sensual and alluring Tango Nights ballet to The Lyric Theatre from Wednesday, 17th to Sunday, 21st of June.
* Afrikaans singing sensation, Kurt Darren, returns to The Lyric for performances on Saturday, 27th and Sunday, 28th of June, following the success of his last electrifying gig at the venue.
* Prime Circle, South Africa’s premier live rock band, rocks The Lyric for a once-off performance on Friday, 3rd of July. This hard-working and world-class band, with hundreds of live performances and three albums under its belt, is one of the country’s favourite rock bands.
* Grammy Award-winning artist and producer, Tony Rich, is bringing his brand of soulful and inspirational R&B to The Lyric Theatre for two exclusive performances on Friday, 10th and Saturday, 11th of July. Double-SAMA-winning singer Thabo Mdluli is the opening act.
* The Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City Casino is hosting adult contemporary superstar Nianell for a once-off performance on Saturday, 25 July. Nianell is a gifted singer who can comfortably switch between styles as diverse as pop, country, folk, R&B, classic and even Celtic music.
* The spicy Bollywood extravaganza, Bollywood Live At The Lyric, is back by popular demand for two shows only, both on Saturday, 1st of August, following its sell-out performances at The Lyric Theatre earlier this year.
* Curry on Laughing is a nonstop, delicious comedy buffet featuring Sans Moonsamy of Those Indian Guys, Eastern Mosaics’ Jailoshini Naidoo and Comedy Festival man Eubulus Tracy. It’s on for one night only on Saturday, 15th of August.
* Watershed takes the stage from Friday, 28th to Saturday, 30th of August this year. This is a rare opportunity to see one of the country’s favourite live rock bands playing in one of the country’s top venues, well known for its state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems as well as its superb acoustics.
* Kevin Perkins aka Mike Naicker is back at The Lyric on Friday, 4th and Saturday, 5th of September this year. Expect more of the riotous comedy that tickled funny bones at The Lyric Theatre last year from this hilarious show.
* The Lyric Theatre is bringing world-famous psychic, John Edward, to South Africa for the first time for a series of exclusive performances from Thursday, 19th to Sunday, 22nd of November 2009.
* The favourite festive season ballet, The Nutcracker, will be back at The Lyric from Thursday, 26th of November to Sunday, 6th of December after the sold-out season in 2008. The Nutcracker, staged by Mzansi Productions is based on the story The Nutcracker and the King of Mice written by E.T.A. Hoffman.
Book for these performances at Computicket or at The Lyric Box Office using the links alongside.