To the utter delight of the LekkerBek team, exotic mushrooms (like porcini, eryngii, enoki and shitake) can be found at most good greengrocers, some supermarkets and farmers markets. Take advantage of these delicious and beautiful fungi, especially during autumn.
440g Arborio Rice or Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
500g Mixed Mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbls Butter
2 Tbls Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Leek, finely sliced
1 L Chicken Stock
125 ml White Wine
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 Tbls Parsley, chopped
Truffle Oil (Optional)
Before you start on the rice, shallow fry the mushrooms in some butter and set aside. Heat stock and keep on the boil. Fry leek and garlic in the oil for 5-6min. Add Arborio rice and stir until coated. Add 125 ml stock and stir until absorbed. Add wine stir until absorbed. Add the rest of stock 125 ml at a time stir until absorbed and rice is tender and creamy (Once you start cooking the rice, you can’t leave it unattended, it may become dry and sticky if you don’t keep an eye on it.) Stir in mushrooms, and cheese (you can use less if you’d like). Stir in lemon zest and parsley or Add little cream or mascarpone for a more indulgent version. Drizzle with Truffle Oil for a superb flavour.
- Wild mushrooms are in season, so you should be able to buy some from most greengrocers (Impala Fruitiers on Beyers Naude has a fantastic selection). Woolworths also sells punnets of mixed exotic mushrooms.
- Truffle Oil can be bought at delicatessens and some specialist stores.
- Wild mushrooms are expensive, so use portabelinni and big brown mushrooms with one punnet of wild mushrooms instead.
- For a more intense mushroom flavour, soak dried Porchini mushrooms in 500ml hot water and combine with 500ml chicken stock.
- If you can get fresh Porchini (considered the marrow of the mushroom world), shallow fry thick slices in butter and some garlic, and use as garnish on the risotto.
For more recipes follow the links alongside.
Win with Spekko
To inspire you to cook up a storm, SPEKKO RICE are teaming up with well-known food writers, cooks, chefs and caterers, bakers and suppliers in the food industry. You will find on these pages, the best butchers, cheese suppliers, farm stalls, markets, cooking schools – and much more! Send us YOUR OWN favourite recipe using one of the 5 SPEKKO RICE variants and you can win a fabulous CAROL BOYES crafted RICE BOWL and SPOON. If your recipe is published, you will also win a rice hamper, recipe books and other kitchen utensils from SPEKKO RICE.
To enter, e-mail your recipe, photograph of the dish and one of yourself to Kobie. Please note, the prizes may differ from the visuals published.