Mushroom And Beef Short Rib Ragu (Portabellini)
400g beef short rib
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 carrot, diced
60ml red wine optional
500ml beef stock
15ml oregano leaves
45ml tomato paste
300g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
400g tagliatelle, cooked
A few basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the short ribs in batches until browned all over. Transfer the shortribs to an ovenproof casserole.
- Return the pan to the stove and gently fry the onion, garlic and carrot for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to the casserole and add the red wine, beef stock, oregano and tomato paste. Cover and cook the casserole in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature 160°C and cook for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms and return the casserole to the oven for 10 minutes. Allow to stand for 15 minutes and pull away the meat from the bones using 2 forks.
- Return the meat to the casserole, keep warm, and serve with fresh tagliatelle, Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.
Wholewheat Spaghetti With Mushrooms, Kale And Hazelnuts
Serves 4 – 6
500g wholewheat spaghetti
45ml olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
100g baby button mushrooms
100g kale, chopped
1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
100g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
30ml flat leaf parsley
60ml Parmesan cheese, finely grated
30ml dukkah (optional)
Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the garlic for 1 minute. Add the button mushrooms and baby mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the reserved spaghetti and the kale and cook for 3 minutes, or until the spaghetti is heated through. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
- Serve at once with extra Parmesan cheese and dukkah, if desired.
Have you tried any of these cold front recipes? Rate and review your experience below!