One of the highlights for all of us was a visit to the Lion & Safari Park – if you have not yet visited their new venue on a 600-hectare wilderness reserve in the Cradle of Humankind, then you need to make a plan to visit as soon as possible.
We honestly thought we’d be there for a while and move on somewhere else for the remainder of the day, but there was so much to do that we ran out of time! The children had an absolute blast, and despite our visit taking place in the middle of a heat wave, none of us wanted to leave!
Here’s whats on offer:
- Guided game drives– Lion & Wild Dog Tour, Mini Safari, Night Tours (with predator feeding), Alex Tour, and Cheetah and Lion Walks
- Self-drives – look out for Lion (Brown and White), Cheetah, Hyena (Brown, Spotted and Striped), Leopard (including black leopard), Wild Dogs, Sable antelope, Kudu, Nyala and more!
- Animal interactions
- Hand-feeding ostrich, giraffe and antelope
- A variety of restaurants – Bull ’n Buck (premier dining with an outstanding wine list), Wetlands Restaurant (quick meals overlooking the playground) and Frozen Kingdom (ice-cream parlour and coffee shop).
- Large children’s playground
- FIVE domes in which to shop up a storm on the way out. (Spoiler alert: the jewellery selection is outstanding!)
- Children’s Birthday Parties
Our plan of action was to begin with a Lion Cub interaction, cappuccinos and ice-cream, guided game drive, long lazy lunch, walk around the facilities while feeding the various ostrich, giraffe and antelope, G&Ts and ice cream and a very long play on the playground. Plus at least an hour spent in the “5 dome shopping experience” on the way out!
Volunteers from all over the world are welcome to apply for the Lion & Safari Park’s volunteer programme. We thought the tour guides were amazingly well trained and passionate about their jobs – turns out that many of them were volunteers!
This phenomenal programme gives you the chance to:
- Feed and care for animals
- Spend time with researchers – tracking, capturing and collecting data
- Participate in game drives and other activities
- Live with other volunteers from all over the world
Entrance to the restaurants, curio shops and children’s playground is FREE – you only pay for activities such as animal interactions and guided game drives. Click here for the rate card.
All year round from 08:30 – 20:00
Tel: 087 150 0100
Email: Lion Park
Visit: Lion And Safari Park
Written by Shelli NT