What Is It?
There’s so much history in our city! Most of the time, we don’t even realise how much has taken place in the CBD itself. The JoburgPlaces Money, Banks & Vaults Tour covers the historic financial district of the inner city around Marshalltown. Many of the most historic buildings in this part of town are the erstwhile bank buildings. Money, banks and vaults were at the heart and soul of Joburg’s Gold Rush inception and development. Here, you’ll get to experience these remarkable spaces and hear their fascinating stories.
Typical tour schedule:
- 10:00 – Tour starts with introduction on Gandhi Square
- 10:15 – Introduction with coffee and scones at Scatterlings Restaurant
- 10:40 – Walk to City Central
- 10:50 – Arrive at City Central, 85 Commissioner, Barclays Bank Head Office
- 11:10 – Walk to National Bank House (First Colonial Bank of the Transvaal Colony and later the banking hall of First National Bank)
- 11:20 – Arrive at National Bank House and tour the banking hall.
- 11:45 – Walk across Library Gardens (Beyers Naude Square and through the Bank City complex, down Kerk Street to the old Johannesburg Stock Exchange, now known as the JSE Newtown)
- 12:00 – Arrive at JSE Newtown and visit the old stock exchange trading floor
- 12:25 – Walk down Ferreira Street past Anglo American to the Old French Bank and on to Standard Bank.
- 13:00 – Arrive at Standard Bank where we visit the Mine Shaft Museum
- 13:30 – Walk to Gandhi Square
- 13:40 – Arrive at the Thunder Walker and proceed to Zwipi Underground Bar
- 14:00 – Harvest table lunch at the Zwipi Underground Bar
- 15:30 – Tour ends
When Is It?
Saturday, 13 April 2019 from 10:00 – 15:30.
Where Is It?
Thunder Walker, Gandhi Square or 110 Fox Street, Johannesburg CBD.
How Much Is It?
R495 per person. To book, contact Gerald Garner on firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 894 5216.
Cost includes: coffee with scones in the morning and a scrumptious harvest-table lunch. Any other drinks for your own account.
For More Information
For more information about this event, visit JoburgPlaces on Facebook.