Asian Noodle Salad
Prep time: 15 min
- 230 grams green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 170 grams soba noodles
- 170 grams tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, minced
- Cubed and cooked chicken
- 1 julienned carrot
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook 230 grams trimmed green beans, cut into two-inch pieces, until crisp-tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a colander. In the same pot, cook 170 grams soba noodles according to package instructions, drain well (do not rinse).
- Meanwhile, cut 170 grams firm silken tofu into 1/2-inch cubes, drain on paper towels. Place into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together three tablespoons fresh lime juice, two tablespoons soy sauce, and two teaspoons toasted sesame oil. Pour half of the dressing over the tofu, toss gently to coat.
- In a large bowl, toss remaining dressing with the noodles, green beans, carrot and two minced scallions. Sprinkle tofu on top. Let cool.
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Prep time: 20 min
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise with olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Pinch of paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- Combine the chicken, celery, carrot, red onion, mayonnaise, mustard, celery salt, granulated garlic, paprika and one teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
- Serve the chicken salad on the toasted rolls with lettuce and tomato.
Steamed Broccoli With Lighter Ranch Dip
- 8 cups broccoli florets (from 1 large bunch broccoli)
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Set a steamer basket in a saucepan with two inches simmering water. Add broccoli, cover, and steam until crisp-tender. Let cool completely. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine yoghurt, mayonnaise, thyme, and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Serve with broccoli.
Prep time: 15 min
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 scallions, white parts and 2 inches of green, finely chopped
- 1 230gram can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons capers, chopped, plus 1 teaspoon liquid
- 8 slices dill pickle, plus 1 teaspoon pickling liquid
- 8 slices seeded rye bread
- 1 pound deli-sliced turkey
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- Heat one tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and cook until light brown. Add the sauerkraut and apple and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the sauerkraut is lightly browned and dry. Add half of the scallion greens and cook for one minute.
- Preheat the broiler. Mix the mayonnaise, chili sauce, the remaining scallion greens, the capers and their liquid, and the dill pickling liquid.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon butter on one side of each bread slice. Place four slices, buttered-side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread each with some of the mayonnaise mixture, then layer the turkey, dill pickles and sauerkraut mixture on top. Sprinkle with the cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
- Spread more of the mayonnaise mixture on the unbuttered sides of the other four bread slices, place buttered-side up on the sandwiches. Return to the broiler until golden, turning once.
Strawberry & Cream Cheese Sandwich
Prep time: 5 min
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 slices very thin whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 medium strawberries, sliced
- Combine cream cheese, honey and orange zest in a bowl. Spread bread with the cheese mixture. Place sliced strawberries on one piece of bread, top with the other.