Sophiatown Bar Lounge is an African restaurant, bar and lounge in Newtown that specialises in African food. The restaurant is a contemporary venue themed on Sophiatown’s heritage. Their menu offers traditional dishes like mogodu (tripe) with samp (maize) and beans, as well as steaks, burgers and salads. Expect classical local sounds, authentic ‘kasi inspired dishes’, and nostalgic settings that will take you back to the good old days.
Have you been here? Rate and review your experience below!
- A Taste Of Lighthouse Festival
- Newtown Walking Tour
- The First Annual All Love NYE Fest
- Riky Rick Presents Cotton Fest 2019
- RapidLion - The South African International Film Festival
- The Late Night Arcade At The Bioscope
- Dinner On The Deck At Turbine Hall
- Dinner On The Deck
- All Night Jozi Inner City Festival At Carfax
- BBC Arts Hour Comes To South Africa
- Inhouse 2 House Party At Carfax
- Local Arts Festival
Sophiatown Bar Lounge is located in the heart of Jozi’s cultural precinct, Newtown.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingBased on 14 reviews
The restaurant location is very good in Newtown, next to Museum Africa with nice outside terrace. There is no toilet on the premises, you have to go to the building around the back and past a...
it was a Monday evening and the restaurant was VERY quiet, which suited me perfectly. The waiter (Tino) was friendly and eager to serve. I had some beverages and ordered the sirloin - medium rare...
Amy S Says:
Sophiatown in Newtown and Midrand alike are my favorite restaurant in Johannesburg. Often with live music or various other forms of entertainment in the evenings. The food is always so good, and the...